Degenerative disc disease is a very common condition that describes normal changes that happen to your spinal discs with age. If you are suffering with painful DDD that damages your quality of life, Coast Spine and Sports Medicine can help with tailored treatment options available in Orange County, Los Angeles County and Inland Empire.
What Is Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease or DDD is a degenerative condition of the spine that happens when the spinal discs break down or become damaged due to normal wear and tear. Spinal discs work to absorb shock between bones of the spine and help the spine flex as you twist and bend. When these discs become injured or damaged, they cannot heal themselves. Over a period of years, this makes normal movement of the spine painful and eventually the vertebrae around the disc become unstable, increasing back pain.
How Much Does Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment Cost in Orange County?
The cost of your treatment for degenerative disc disease will depend on the severity of your condition and which treatment options are recommended. During your initial consultation, we will create a tailored treatment plan and discuss the cost of your treatment. Coast Spine and Sports Medicine accepts many forms of insurance, as well as financing through CareCredit® to make your treatment as affordable as possible.
What Causes Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease is caused by several factors that contribute to disc damage and degeneration. As we age, our spinal discs naturally lose water content and no longer absorb shock as well as they once could. Daily activities can also cause tears in the harder exterior of the discs, further decreasing water content and contributing to degeneration and herniation. Injuries can also cause instability and swelling.
All of these factors contribute to the development of degenerative disc disease. While this condition is often associated with age, many people with DDD are in their 30s and 40s.
What Degenerative Disc Disease Treatments Do You Offer?
At Coast Spine and Sports Medicine, we believe in starting with the least invasive measures possible to treat chronic pain and spinal conditions. We will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan to address your pain and help you better manage life with degenerative disc disease.
In most cases, degenerative disc disease is treated with heat/ice therapy and medication. For severe pain or degenerative disc disease that has developed alongside other issues like a herniated disc, osteoarthritis, or spinal stenosis, we may recommend additional treatments.
Potential treatment options for degenerative disc disease in Los Angeles include:
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- An injection of steroids may be combined with local anesthetic to deliver significant but temporary relief from the pain of degenerative disc disease.
- Bone Marrow Aspirate Progenitor Cell Therapy
- This treatment is reserved for when other treatments covered by insurance fail to offer relief. We use your adult Bone Marrow Aspirate Progenitor Cells to help regenerate tissue at the site of damaged discs.
- This minimally invasive surgical procedure involves removing damaged disc tissue that is pressing on your spinal cord or nerve roots and causing pain.
- Spinal Stenosis Surgery
- A minimally invasive co-flex or iO-Flex procedure may be used to decompress spinal stenosis and relieve pain from compressed nerve roots.
- Lumbar Fusion
- Minimally invasive lumbar fusion is recommended when other treatment options have not worked. This procedure involves fusing two or more vertebrae to prevent them from rubbing against each other and compressing spinal nerves.
If you are struggling with painful degenerative disc disease in Los Angeles County or Orange County, contact us at Coast Spine and Sports Medicine to schedule an appointment. We will work with you to develop a treatment plan customized to your needs and condition to help you enjoy relief from your symptoms.