A ruptured tendon can be extremely painful and, if not treated properly, lead to life-long disability. Coast Spine and Sports Medicine offers comprehensive treatment options help you regain function and significant pain relief. We serve men and women in Orange County, Los Angeles County and Inland Empire.
What Is a Tendon Rupture?
A tendon rupture is a painful condition that happens when a tendon separates at least partially from the bone or muscle. Tendons attach bone to muscle and are capable of withstanding extreme force. Still, tendons can rupture or snap in some cases. This rare condition can cause excruciating pain and even permanent disability if it isn’t treated promptly and correctly.
While ruptured tendons can occur almost anywhere, the most common sites are:
- Achilles tendon. This is the tendon at the back of the foot above the heel that allows you to flex your foot, stand on your tiptoes, and push off the ground with your feet.
- Rotator cuff tendon. This is located in the shoulder and it’s made up of four muscles that are responsible for rotating and raising the arm and keeping the shoulder in its socket.
- Biceps tendon. This is the arm muscle that flexes the elbow and brings the hand to the shoulder. Most bicep ruptures occur where the bicep attaches to the top of the shoulder.
- Quadriceps tendon . As with the rotator cuff, the quadricep is a group of four muscles that form the patellar tendon. This tendon is used to jump, run, walk, and extend the leg past the knee.
How Much Does Tendon Rupture Treatment Cost in Orange County?
The cost to treat a ruptured tendon in Los Angeles County and Orange County depends on the location and severity of your condition. During your first appointment at Coast Spine and Sports Medicine, we will develop a tailored treatment plan with a goal of relieving pain and restoring normal strength and range of motion. We accept many forms of health insurance as well as financing through CareCredit ®.
What Causes a Tendon Rupture?
Ruptured tendons are typically the result of sports-related injuries or they may occur in older men. In younger adults, the muscle tends to tear before the tendon. In older people, the tendon is more likely to tear.
A ruptured tendon can happen for many reasons:
- Steroid injections into the tendon. While steroid injections can be used to treat tendonitis, they do increase the risk of a ruptured tendon.
- Increased stress on the tendon when a muscle contracts while it’s stretched in the opposite direction.
- Direct trauma, such as trauma to the knee just above the kneecap.
- Normal aging, which can reduce blood supply to the tendon.
- Strenuous exercise or activity by people who are not conditioned.
- Lifting a heavy object above the head in the case of a rotator cuff tear.
How Are Tendon Ruptures Treated in Orange County?
Surgery is typically advised for a complete tear of a tendon to repair the tear and reattach the tendon. The precise technique will depend on the tendon that has ruptured.
Achilles tendon rupture surgery usually involves an incision to the back of the lower leg to suture together the torn tendon. This repair may be reinforced using other tendons. Patellar tendon rupture surgery involves reattaching the tendon below the patella with sutures placed through the tendon and threaded through holes drilled into the patella. This ensures the position of the patella is a close match to the uninjured patella.
If you have suffered a ruptured tendon, Coast Spine and Sports Medicine can help with custom treatment plans and effective treatment solutions. Contact us today to schedule an appointment. We welcome patients in Orange County and Los Angeles County, CA.